There's a thing going around on facebook suggesting that you write 25 things about yourself, and then encourage your friends to do the same. After ignoring it for a week or so, I finally did it last night. Here's my definitely-not-all-inclusive list.
1. I'm indecisive. For example, I've been sitting her approximately 5 minutes trying to figure out what to write for #1.
2. I'll kill myself for you. Self-sacrifice is written into the core of my being, and I'll agree to do things without saying a word, even if I know I don't have the time or energy. Get that from my dad. It's why I'll make an awesome doctor. Doesn't matter if you shower me with praise or kick me when I'm down, I'll still kill myself doing anything for you.
3. I started dating my first and only girlfriend in October 2007. We started having sex in February 2008, engaged in April, pregnant in May, married in June.
4. I'm only 22, but I'm a husband, father of an awesome rascally 1-year-old boy, and a medical student.
5. I don't like dogs. In fact, I don't like animals in general. And yet, in the last year I've had over 40 pets, and currently have a doberman-shepherd mix.
6. I am a first-degree black belt in the art of Cerezo-ha Shito-Ryu Karate-Do.
7. I started Cub Scouts as a Tiger Cub when I was 5, and became an Eagle Scout on October 3, 2002. I've had most of the youth leadership positions, and several adult positions. I love the Boy Scouts.
8. At this point, I've had three last names in my life. Worley then Phillips then Gibson. I never plan to change my name again.
9. One whole section of my family boycotted my wedding. They still won't talk to me. Apparently that's something they randomly do: excommunicate family members (it's a lot more complex than that, but I don't want to get into it).
10. I hate the welfare system, yet I'm on food stamps, cash assistance and Medicaid.
11. My wife is the most creative chef I've ever met. Not only are her foods delicious, but the presentation is exquisite.
12. My greatest physical fear is that I'll lose my eyesight.
13. My greatest fear in general is failure. That I'll fail God, that I'll fail to be a good father, that I'll fail to be a good husband, that I'll fail at my job, that I'll fail my friends, that I'll never live up to half my potential.
14. I'm a perfectionist. It's really irritating. And I'm not as anal as I used to be. But still. Yes, all the fragments I just wrote irritate me.
15. My beliefs, both religious and political, surprise people. I'm a follower of Christ and pro-life, but I don't support abstinence-only sex education. I believe the Bible is literally true, but I don't have a problem with evolution. The list goes on.
16. I think we're living literally in the End Times. Following Biblical prophecy, events are lining up, and I am convinced that I will see the End in my lifetime.
17. I owned a truck for about 6 months, and had to sell it. I can't wait to get another truck.
18. I started reading when I was 4, and never stopped. I prefer non-fiction to fiction. I read biographies for fun. I read almost every genre.
19. I only have a few friends, but the ones I have, are true, loyal and I can totally count on them. You know who you are.
20. I love fruits and veggies. As much as I enjoy meats, if I had the time and energy, I think I could go vegan. It's actually tempting sometimes. For lots of reasons. It's just more of a hassle than I'm willing to put up with, at this point at least. And I really do love meat.
21. I'm the best liar you'll ever meet. Growing up in my family honed the skills. I try very hard to suppress it. But if I lie, it's so absolutely seamless, you'll never know. Really. I hate that about myself.
22. When I got my license, for years I absolutely refused to go even 1 over the speed limit. Then, I'd regularly drive 80+ on the freeways, because my mind works fast enough to process things at that speed, and I still maintain that I was a safe driver. Now, I have a wife and a kid, and I usually drive pretty close to the limit again.
23. I want to make a difference in the world. It's part of why I'm going to be a doctor. I don't want to live my life in the shadows, cruising along without leaving my mark.
24. My apartment burned down the day before Thanksgiving in 2007. It really wasn't as big of a deal as you'd think. Everyone pulled together for us, and we did just fine.
25. Some people say I'm "emotionally invulnerable" but that's not true. I give it to God, it's as simple as that. I'd probably be insane now, otherwise. But, knowing that I can just give it to Him, makes my problems melt away. His yoke truly is easy, and His burden light.
25b (Sometimes I hang onto my problems for awhile, and when I do, I'm SO stressed out. I don't know why I do it).