Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My First Few Days

I started my internship on Monday. Let me just tell you, I am absolutely loving it. There are so many wonderful aspects to my job, and while I will admit that I'm a bit tired as I write this, I am so thrilled to finally be a doctor. Some of the best things about what I get to do:

>>The patients, both in the hospital and out. I am so honored to be able to care for people in some of their most vulnerable moments. In my current rotation, I am caring for patients with general medical problems in the hospital, and I also have clinic in the afternoon one day a week. I am already seeing such a variety of people, with their diverse personalities and ways of dealing with illness. Yesterday was my first day of clinic, and it was so exciting to actually be seeing people that I am now the primary care physician for. Some of the problems I saw were able to be treated with one visit alone, but one person I saw will be following up with me in two weeks. It is such a rush to be able to schedule someone to follow up with me! It's one of the things I love about family medicine- being able to build relationships with people over time, and take a step by step approach in helping them out.

>>The staff here. Everyone is so good at what they do! I'll admit that my pager has a way of going off every time I finally get to sit down for a second, but the nurses here are exceptional. They are extremely competent and very friendly. The same can be said for the rest of the staff, from program coordinators to discharge planners to pharmacists. It's really a pleasure to work with everyone.

>>My fellow residents. What an awesome group of doctors I get to work with! It is so refreshing to find doctors who are passionate and enthusiastic about what they do. The attending physicians eager to teach, my senior residents have been so helpful, encouraging and patient with all the things I don't know how to do yet ("Is this how you order an ultrasound?"; "Where's the interventional radiology lab?"), and my fellow intern class is really a solid group of doctors. Coming to work is a blast with such great people to work with! It's a privilege to be a part of both the family medicine department and the psychiatry department, because I get to work directly with twice as many incredible people, and both departments have really made me feel at home. The first two weeks of orientation there were so many "Welcome Intern" events that I couldn't even go to all of them!

It's so great to be able to work hard in the hospital and play hard with my kids when I get home. The new work hour restrictions laws only allow interns to be in the hospital for 16 hours at a time, so I'm getting a fair amount of time with my family when I get home, too. After clinic yesterday I went home and took my kids to the swimming pool and spent the rest of the night watching "LOST" with my wife. Granted, I'm on an easier rotation right now, and I'll be a fair bit busier during the two ICU rotations I have next, but I'm not worried about it. I love my job and have a great support system both in the hospital and at home. Life is good :)

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Gibson, not enough doctors take the time to detail their life once they "cross the other side." Thank you so much for doing so. You have provided your readers with another lantern on the hill to gaze at as we take this momentous climb up in medical school. I can only pray I end up at a residency as nurturing and enthusiastic as yours. You deserve this, as well as all the good fortune that is in store for you.

    I love the fact that playing harder out of the hospital is centered around your wife and kids. It sounds like you're living the dream (LTD).

    ReplyDelete