Saturday, June 16, 2012

So, I'm a Doctor

A lot has happened since my last blog post. A LOT. My wife, our two kids, two dogs and I have moved cross country in an F-150 pulling a camper trailer full of belongings to our new home in our old hometown. We decided to rent a two bedroom apartment for the first 8 months or so, so we could find a home to buy that we are truly thrilled about and not rushed into. We've been out here for just over a month now, insanely busy but loving every day in the Golden State.

The first few weeks were primarily related to getting settled in to our new apartment. The hustle and bustle of acquiring furniture, unpacking boxes and deciding where everything should go filled our days. Then, last Sunday, I officially became a doctor. I wasn't able to make it all the way back to Ohio for the ceremony, but the graduation for the Class of 2012 came and went, leaving me with the coveted letters of M.D. to place at the end of my name.

Then, this Tuesday, it all started to become intensely real. Every day since has been crammed with orientation, paperwork and meeting people. Most of my orientation events have been with the Family Medicine department of the medical center, since they start a bit earlier than the Psychiatry department. I cannot begin to express how excited I am to be working with these incredible people- the staff all seem to be incredibly organized, efficient and thoughtful, the program directors and faculty seem to be involved and friendly, the "older" residents all seem excited about us joining, and I think my entire intern class is really a solid group of doctors.

Our wonderful Family Medicine department realizes how important it is for the interns to all get to know each other, so they sent us all for a half day at a team building adventure camp. What fun! We learned a lot about each other, and most importantly have learned that we can trust each other, which will be invaluable starting on the 25th, when we actually begin working in the hospital.

Also exciting has been the two days we spent getting certified in resuscitation. We spent one day on "neonatal resuscitation", meaning what to do when a baby is first born and isn't doing so well. There was a sophisticated infant mannequin that would cry, wiggle, turn blue and breath, depending on how well we were doing. Our team really knew its stuff! The following day was adult resuscitation, from BLS (Basic Life Survey) to ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support). Basically, it's the steps of what we all do as a team when a "Code Blue" is called in this hospital. There are a lot of steps involved! But at the end of the 8 hour day, we all passed our "Megacode" simulation test and got certified.

The rest of our time has been filled with equally important but less thrilling events like training on our electronic medical record (really top of the line), and filling out page after page of paperwork. Next week we will get orientation more specifically to what we will be doing in the hospital (and learning our way around it), meet with our faculty mentors to discuss our specific goals and interests, and wind down the week with a pool party for all residents, faculty and families before the big day on June 25. Everyone try to stay safe and out of the hospital for a few weeks while we figure out what we're doing, ok? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment